Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Monday, December 11, 2006

Break Time


"I cannot conceive the Spring of lands that have no Winter. I take my Winter gladly, to get Spring as a keen and fresh experience." Odd Farmwife, The Old Farmhouse 1913
The most enjoyable gardening activity for us this time of year is to look through all the new seed catalogs. Some new cultivars we will try in 2007 include: Marconi Romano beans from Italy, an oriental okra, a tiny rustic pea known as "Pois Peas" in France, "Artichoke of the Aristocrats", the "Infamous" pearl onion from Europe, and a gourmet heirloom sweet pepper from Spain that is reputed to be a culinary masterpiece. We are also working on improving our mid-summer mesclun by growing more heat tolerant items. It has become more difficult over the years to produce a mid-summer salad mix. I hope these varieties will help.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chicago-go said...

Hi Mike! Are YOU a Jones? Or do you just live in Jones Valley? I wondered because although I live in Chicago, I ama Jones from that part of Wisconsin, Jones Valley.
I am coming up there this summer to do a little historical research on my great great grandfather, Robert Jones from Wales.
Keep up the blog - I love it!!!

March 9, 2010 at 1:32:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home